By Olusegun Ogunkayode[RovroundNews]

The Osun State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on Friday,20th February,2026 accused the administration of Ademola Adeleke of presiding over an alleged ₦13.7 billion annual payroll fraud, urging anti-corruption agencies to immediately investigate top government officials and associates of the governor.

Addressing a world press conference at the Tinubu/Shettima Campaign Office along Gbongan-Osogbo Road, Osogbo, the state APC Chairman, Sooko Tajudeen Lawal, said revelations credited to an audit consultant indicated widespread irregularities in the state payroll system, including the payment of salaries to thousands of ghost workers.

Lawal claimed the audit uncovered a situation where a single civil servant allegedly received salaries meant for 5,615 government workers through multiple bank accounts.

According to him, the development suggested that large-scale diversion of public funds and demanded urgent action by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission.

“Osun is bleeding terribly. The anti-corruption agencies must beam their searchlight on this matter and fish out those milking the resources of the state,” Lawal said.

He questioned why the alleged findings, reportedly submitted since July 2024, had not led to the arrests or public disciplinary measures.

The opposition party also raised concerns over the alleged involvement of the governor’s elder brother, Deji Adeleke, and the Chief of Staff, Kazeem Akinleye, in handling the audit report.

Lawal demanded clarification on what official role Deji Adeleke played in verifying government documents and why he allegedly received the audit report instead of the governor.

He further alleged the Chief of Staff, said to have head the implementation committee on the audit, had yet to provide transparent explanations on actions taken.

The APC also queried the reported payment of ₦79 million for an Automated Payroll Administrative System (APAS) allegedly not delivered, describing it as another troubling element of the scandal.

The party argued that funds allegedly siphoned through ghost workers could significantly improve youth welfare programmes in the state if properly utilised.

The Chairman insisted that the allegations called for immediate and thorough investigation and prosecution of anyone found culpable. “The people of Osun deserve transparent and accountable leadership. Public funds must be protected,” he said.

As of press time, the Osun State Government had not issued a fresh official response to the latest allegations, though the administration had previously denied wrongdoing in similar claims and accused the opposition of political propaganda.

The alleged controversy had added a new twist to the growing political tensions in Osun State as opposition and government continue to trade accusations over governance and financial management.

Shares:
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *